Thursday, April 12, 2007

Marbles

Why do humans need to know more than what we actually need to know?
Click here

One day, the youth had a philosophical session (we had plenty of those back in the day *sigh*) and Joseph brought up something interesting he just read.

It was basically about infinity, the author discusses what infinity truly is. Imagine that I had an infinite amount of marbles, and so do you.

Case study 1
I decided to give you my infinite amount of marbles, and in the end you'd have twice the infinity amount of marbles, in the end I'd have none right?

infinity - infinity = 0

Case study 2
I decided to alternately give you my marbles, for example I'll give out marble #2, #4, #6 and so on. Which means you'll get half my marbles.

infinity - 1/2 infinity = 1/2 infinity

Case study 3
I decided to give u every marble after the 5th marble, in the end I should have 5 marbles.

But we're ignoring the concept of infinity here! Infinity is everlasting, uncountable, intangible of intangibles, forever, astalavista, rawriroarawr! From a mathematics professor's point of view, I think in all 3 cases, it all results in both parties still having infinity marbles. That's a lot of marbles mind you.

So don't try to limit God in our finite wisdom and understanding, after all...

-Infinity is marbles-

1 comment:

jtkl89 said...

*sigh*... i miss those days 2. the marbles... heheh... anyway.. i tot it half of infinity IS infinity 2?