Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Bible

Having read through the four gospels, I must confess that I was troubled due to the presence of inconsistencies. To my surprise even the genealogies are different!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Why is this a problem? Imagine in court where the witnesses give different accounts relating to supposedly the same thing, even if it were only minor details, would you have reason to doubt them? Surely! Although the bible has never directly claimed that it was perfect word for word, probably the closest thing is this verse:

All scripture is God breathed,
and is useful for teaching, rebuking,
correcting, and training in righteousness.

2 Timothy 3:16

Try to answer this one :) What were Jesus' last words?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew 27:46, Mark 15:34
"My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" followed by a loud cry afterwards.
Luke 23:46 "Father, into Your hands I commit my spirit."
John 19:30 "It is finished."

You should have looked it up, lazy! :p

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there I was, in my bathroom aka Areopagus... pondering and pondering. Then I looked at myself. I struggle to remember what I ate last night. The earliest gospel written, Mark was produced 40 years after the death of Jesus!

Let's look at it this way, if you and your friends were asked to memorize some gospel songs for the whole afternoon, then you guys sang the songs together for another week. Then your gang was scattered around. Try producing the same songs after 40 years! Considering this, I would say that on the contrary, the four gospels are remarkably similar!

Now, the gospel songs were inspired by God right? Can we, on account that some inconsistencies exist with your lyrics and mine claim that God does not exist?

God does intend for everything to be perfect, just as He intended to spend eternity with Adam and Eve playing catch in the garden of Eden, but somehow us humans have to mess things up!!!

You pick up the papers, and on the front page it is an article about the women going to the tomb 3 days after Jesus was crucified. Would the headlines scream,

"Was it an angel, a young man, two young men, or two angels?"

or

Jesus has risen!!!

I'm not saying, let us neglect the small picture, but
Let's not make the small picture the
big picture
.


3 comments:

Abel Wong said...

*oxygen sound*

jtkl89 said...

i totally agree! Tat's how the atheists n anti-Christians try 2 attack us Christians... by using the small stuff n making it a big deal!
:P

AJ said...

yeppp.